[dhcwg] Re: Renumbering DNS with stateless DHCPv6 - bug?

Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com> Tue, 18 November 2003 18:02 UTC

To: dnsop@cafax.se, dhcwg@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:55:12 -0500
From: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>
Subject: [dhcwg] Re: Renumbering DNS with stateless DHCPv6 - bug?
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> With DHCPv6 Light for DNS option configuration, how is the client told
> that DNS options have changed?  The reconfigure message seems to be
> unicast to the clients, but if the DHCPv6 server is stateless, it won't
> have a list of clients (with leased IPs) to send that Reconfigure
> message to?

note that there are issues with unicast reconfigure. During the IESG
review of the DHCv6 spec, concerns were raised about the
appropriateness of _requiring_ that all nodes have an open port on
which DHC messages could be sent. This is viewed as a security
issue. E.g., for security reasons, some sites require that clients
have no open ports on which they are listening for arbitrary packets
from anyone. Consequently, the DHCPv6 spec was revised to make the use
of this feature more of a negotiation between the client and
server. See the RFC for details.

Point is, requiring that a node always be ready to receive an
asynchronous message from an arbitrary DHC server is potentially
problematical in practice.

Personally, I think something along the lines of Bernie's suggestion
seems the simplest. E.g., just define a lifetime that applies to all
options that don't themselves have a lifetime.  Client can then
recheck at appropriate intervals.