RE: [dhcwg] Renumbering DNS with stateless DHCPv6 - bug?

"Bernie Volz" <volz@metrocast.net> Fri, 14 November 2003 14:14 UTC

From: Bernie Volz <volz@metrocast.net>
To: 'Tim Chown' <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Renumbering DNS with stateless DHCPv6 - bug?
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:13:42 -0500
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

There was some discussion about adding a "configuration lifetime" option for
Information-Request/Reply messages. This would be similar to the address
lifetimes and the idea would be that this would give the client an
indication of when to obtain updated configuration information. While this
does not solve the problem completely, it would help solve the problem when
scheduled changes in the network are planned.

We may also want to have clients that initiate an Information-Request after
detecting a configuration change that may invalidate existing information
(such as prefixes in configuration information that are no longer valid) use
a random delay before sending the Information-Request (just as they would
for the 'first' Information-Request). Perhaps this just means clarifying
what is meant in section 18.1.5 (RFC 3115) by first:

   The first Information-request message from the client on the
   interface MUST be delayed by a random amount of time between 0 and
   INF_MAX_DELAY.

There are also larger issues here when renumbering happens as the client may
need to its DNS information (dynamic DNS), etc. So, when renumbering happens
(new addresses are added or old ones are deprecated), the client needs to do
some thinking and one of the outcomes is to obtain updated configuration
information.

- Bernie