Re: [dhcwg] Re: Last call for <draft-ietf-dhc-ddns-resolution-02.txt>

Mark Stapp <mjs@cisco.com> Mon, 27 August 2001 22:29 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:27:03 -0400
To: Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com>
From: Mark Stapp <mjs@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Re: Last call for <draft-ietf-dhc-ddns-resolution-02.txt>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Stuart,

My anecdotal needs aren't the motivation for this specification. It is a
common practice in many organizations to provide matching A and PTR RRs for
each active host. Manually configuring those RRs and keeping them up to
date is inefficient in DHCP environments. Dns updates are a very good
solution to that problem. That's a different problem in some ways from your
'roving host' situation, but it's a common problem. As you may know, Win 2k
deployments for example don't work well without dns updates. In many
networks, hosts don't go a-roving much, but administrators still derive a
significant benefit from dns updates that are integrated into the dhcp
exchange. Some form of that integration is offered by all the DHCP server
vendors that I know of. A number of issues have arisen over time as DHCP
and DNS updates have been deployed together, and those issues are the ones
that motivated these specifications.

As I've written repeatedly, what's specified isn't intended to and doesn't
prevent you from configuring your host as you have.

-- Mark