[dhcwg] Re: Several reminders

Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com> Mon, 27 August 2001 20:59 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:55:56 -0700
x-sender: cheshire@mail.apple.com
x-mailer: Claris Emailer 2.0v3, January 22, 1998
From: Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com>
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@nominum.com>, DHCP discussion list <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Subject: [dhcwg] Re: Several reminders
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

>Actually, this is not true, and is a dangerous idea.   If I define the
>format of something that's authoritatively defined elsewhere in my own
>draft, and I make a mistake in transcribing or paraphrasing the
>authoritative source, this is likely to create interoperability
>problems when someone doesn't refer to the source.   So I _must_ refer
>to the authoritative source, and _must not_ paraphrase it.

Ted,

I'm not understanding your point.

I didn't say that you shouldn't have references. What I said was that
writing a number in little square brackets doesn't exempt the writer from
the normal rules of English grammar. Footnotes and endnotes are not the
English language equivalent of "#include". If the text is necessary for
the basic understanding of the sentence, then it should be in the
sentence. Footnotes and endnotes can provide additional clarification,
but the sentence should still be grammatically correct if you ignore them.

This seems to be a modern trend in writing, particularly in documents
like RFCs which not academic research papers, but are written somewhat in
that style. If you look at research publications from fifty years ago, no
one would ever have thought of using a sprinking of footnote and endnote
references as a substitute for a grammatically correct sentence.

Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer
 * Chairman, IETF ZEROCONF
 * www.stuartcheshire.org