RE: [dhcwg] IESG Discusses/Comments on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-subid-00.txt

"Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <volz@cisco.com> Sat, 21 January 2006 00:48 UTC

Subject: RE: [dhcwg] IESG Discusses/Comments on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-subid-00.txt
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:17:19 -0500
From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com>
To: Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Cc: iesg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

There's also the assumption that a relay-agent, that will relay the
message using IPsec, doesn't relay a relayed message except if received
from an IPsec secured relay (since the relays down the chain and the
server can't know which earlier hops were secured or not - except the
last). A relay-agent only relay's a client message and an IPsec secured
relay message? (There isn't anything that I found that explicitly states
this in RFC 3315, so perhaps something to consider as we advance the
document. Or do we feel that is naturally obvious.)

Regarding your other point:

> It _is_ possible for a DHCP client to construct a relay
> packet and send it to
> a relay.  That relay might forward the packet to the server.
>  Likewise, a
> client can construct a relay packet and send it directly to
> the server
> (although getting a response back would be problematic).
> DHCPv6 allows
> multiple relay encapsulation, so there's no denying that it's
> possible to
> spoof an ID using the mechanism described here.

Isn't there inherently an assumption that a relay know whether it should
only be a first hop relay and thus ONLY relay client traffic (and not
relayed messages). This would be useful in both directions, since if so
configured, the relay would never want to relay a RELAY-REPLY either. (I
guess servers could also be told the maximum hops expected and drop
messages that have more than the maximum hops.)

- Bernie