Re: [dhcwg] IESG Discusses/Comments on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-subid-00.txt

Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com> Sat, 21 January 2006 03:39 UTC

From: Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] IESG Discusses/Comments on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-subid-00.txt
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:38:51 -0700
Cc: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com>, iesg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

On Friday 20 January 2006 15:17, Bernie Volz (volz) wrote:
> There's also the assumption that a relay-agent, that will relay the
> message using IPsec, doesn't relay a relayed message except if received
> from an IPsec secured relay (since the relays down the chain and the
> server can't know which earlier hops were secured or not - except the
> last). A relay-agent only relay's a client message and an IPsec secured
> relay message? (There isn't anything that I found that explicitly states
> this in RFC 3315, so perhaps something to consider as we advance the
> document. Or do we feel that is naturally obvious.)

Generally speaking, if you state something clearly and explicitly in an RFC,
there is a *chance* that all implementors will understand what you meant.
If you don't state that thing in an RFC, there is a *chance* that a few
implementors will understand what you meant or ask you.   So of the two
options, I think being explicit is better.

> Isn't there inherently an assumption that a relay know whether it should
> only be a first hop relay and thus ONLY relay client traffic (and not
> relayed messages).

No, there's no such assumption.

> This would be useful in both directions, since if so
> configured, the relay would never want to relay a RELAY-REPLY either. (I
> guess servers could also be told the maximum hops expected and drop
> messages that have more than the maximum hops.)

That seems balky.   I like your first suggestion better.   In general I think
it might be challenging to completely specify the behaviour you're suggesting
here.

I hate to say it, given where we are in the process, but it might be better to
require that a relay-forward option in a DHCPv6 packet that is itself being
authenticated must always indicate whether or not the message being relayed
was authenticated.  This would have to be done via a new option we haven't
talked about yet.

I don't know if this is necessary, though - perhaps it's enough to simply
explain the problem in the security considerations section and let the
administrator impose a solution locally, which I think is basically what
you're saying here.