Re: [dhcwg] AD review of draft-ietf-dhc-relay-agent-auth-01.txt

Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com> Fri, 27 June 2003 18:53 UTC

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:38:12 -0400
To: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] AD review of draft-ietf-dhc-relay-agent-auth-01.txt
Cc: mjs@cisco.com, dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Thomas,

The two techniques in this document both address the same
problem: the authentication of messages exchanged between
DHCP relay agents and DHCP servers.  The title of the document
should, perhaps, read "Authentication of DHCP Message Exchanged
Between Relay Agents and Servers".  The two techniques
for authentication are described in a single document because
they are applicable in different scenarios.

Prior to the last dhc WG meeting, you had asked for a comparison
of the two techniques, which John Schnizlein published on the
dhc WG mailing list.  Based on that comparison, the consensus
of the WG was that the two techniques should be advanced
together, because neither was appropriate for all operational
scenarios.  At the dhc WG meeting in San Francisco we agreed
to advance the two techniques in a single document.

The description of the use of IPsec for authentication was copied
from an earlier draft of the DHCPv6 specification.  The text in
draft-ietf-dhc-relay-agent-auth-01.txt is the same as in the
version of the DHCPv6 specification that has been accepted as
a Proposed Standard.  The more detailed list of rules in the
DHCPv6 specification will be used as the
basis to provide additional detail in this document.

Mark will respond to your comments specific to the
relay agent option definition.

- Ralph