[dhcwg] Proposed Resolution of DNA Issue 19: Review of DNA-07

Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com> Fri, 23 July 2004 14:48 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:12:03 -0700
From: Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com>
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: [dhcwg] Proposed Resolution of DNA Issue 19: Review of DNA-07
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

The text of DNA Issue 19: Review of DNA-07 is enclosed below.  The
proposed resolution is as follows:

In Section 2, delete:

"[c] Treatment of link-down indications. On disconnection
from a network, there is no need to take action until the
host is reconnected, since it is typically not possible
for a host to communicate until it has obtained connectivity.
Therefore, contrary to [RFC2131] Section 3.7, no action
need be taken on network disconnection."

In Section 2.2, change [a]-[d] to the following:

[a] The host does not have a valid routable IPv4
address on the "most likely" point of attachment.
In this case, it is not possible to confirm that
the host has a valid routable IPv4 address, so
that the reachability test is unnecessary.

[b] The host does not have information on the default
gateway(s) for the "most likely" point of attachment.
In this case, it is not possible to carry out the
reachability test.

[c] Reliable hints are unavailable. Since confirming
failure of the reachability test requires a timeout,
mistakes are costly. In the absence of reliable
hints, a host SHOULD instead send a DHCPREQUEST from
the INIT-REBOOT state, as described in [RFC2131],
Section 3.2 and 4.3.2. Where reliable hints are
unavailable, this will on average complete more
quickly than the reachability test.

[d] If secure detection of network attachment is required.
The reachability test utilizes ARP which is insecure,
whereas DHCP can be secured via DHCP authentication,
described in [RFC3118]. See Section 5 for details.

These changes are included in DNA-08:
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/DNA/draft-ietf-dhc-dna-ipv4-08.txt

Issue Status is available at:
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/DNA/dnaissues.html