Re: [dhcwg] status of draft-ietf-dhc-agent-subnet-selection

Mark Stapp <mjs@cisco.com> Wed, 09 October 2002 19:31 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 15:29:46 -0400
To: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
From: Mark Stapp <mjs@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] status of draft-ietf-dhc-agent-subnet-selection
Cc: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>, "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>, Kim Kinnear <kkinnear@cisco.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

I had thought that the progressing relay-agent-authentication draft was the
response to Thomas's issue. That seemed to me to be targetted at the
specific problem of relay<->server communication, and to require relatively
light-weight implementation and configuration changes while providing an
appropriate level of security. That path still seems to me to offer the
best cost/benefit/deployment balance. Will it be more difficult to deploy
and configure an ipsec solution in heterogeneous or complex networks? Will
any additional configuration work required provide any additional security?
Will relays need separate SAs to all the dhcp failover server pairs? Will
all the kinds of v4 devices that act as relays and servers be able to
implement ipsec? I'm concerned that choosing ipsec may lead to reduced
adoption of relay-agent security.

-- Mark