Re: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: Elapsed Time option

Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com> Thu, 09 May 2002 18:36 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 13:33:10 -0500
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: Elapsed Time option
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
To: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
From: Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

> The DHC WG Meeting Minutes that Ralph published stated that the WG did
> want to have load balancing for relays. I specifically asked about this
> issue and I was promoting that we don't do it. What is your recollection?

I don't remember, but that doesn't sound incorrect.  (I think that's as
wishy-washy an answer as I can give, but I'm open to suggestions... :')

> If we extend load balancing to relays, and load balancing includes the
> ability to use the "elapsed-time", aren't we really asking for trouble?

Maybe I'm making this too complicated.   If the relay agent always
_expands_ the set of servers to which it relays the packet as the retry
time increases, it's safe.   It's only unsafe in the case where the set of
servers (A) to which the relay agent relays at time=t is _disjoint_ with
the set of servers (B) to which the relay agent relays at time=t+1.   As
long as set A is a subset of set B, we're fine.   This is probably
something that we can specify pretty safely.

> I would like to keep relays very simple in DHCPv6 and make them simply
> forward the packets. All of the work should be done by servers, IMHO.

I think this is a good motivation, and I don't mind going this route.
Here's what I suggest: we specify that the time in the retry time field in
a Request message that immediately follows an Advertise message should be
the time since the first Solicit was sent, not the time since the first
Request message was sent.   This covers our patooties in the event that we
change our mind on the Relay agent issue later.