RE: [dhcwg] Conflicting information regarding DHCP options 82 and 83.

"Woundy, Richard" <RWoundy@broadband.att.com> Wed, 09 October 2002 17:14 UTC

From: "Woundy, Richard" <RWoundy@broadband.att.com>
To: "'Kostur, Andre'" <Andre@incognito.com>, 'Van Aken Dirk' <VanAkenD@thmulti.com>, "'dhcwg@ietf.org'" <dhcwg@ietf.org>
cc: Dedecker Hans <DedeckerH@thmulti.com>, Dekeyser Miek <DekeyserM@thmulti.com>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Conflicting information regarding DHCP options 82 and 83.
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 11:10:31 -0600
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

IANA seems to be a little more confused than we realize.

Looking at http://www.iana.org/assignments/bootp-dhcp-parameters, I see:

   82      Agent Circuit ID         N    Agent Circuit ID
   83      Agent Remote ID          N    Agent Remote ID
   84      Agent Subnet Mask        N    Agent Subnet Mask

And then later on the same page:

DHCP Agent Sub-Option Codes  per [RFC3046]

Code    Sub-Option Description                 Reference
-----   -----------------------                ---------
   1    Agent Circuit ID Sub-option            [RFC3046]
   2    Agent Remote ID Sub-option             [RFC3046]
   3    Sub-option 3 is reserved and should      [Droms]
        not be assigned at this time;
        proprietary and incompatible usages
        of this sub-option value have been
        seen limited deployment.
   4    DOCSIS Device Class Suboption          [RFC3256]

It appears that IANA assigned three DHCP option codes (82-84) when only one
DHCP option code was assigned in RFC 3046 (82).

Note that an earlier draft of RFC 3046 had a third suboption, "Agent Subnet
Mask Sub-option", that was removed prior to RFC publication -- this is why
suboption 3 is "reserved". That's why I think option 84 should be part of
this IANA cleanup.

-- Rich