Re: [dhcwg] Lease database storage in DHCPv6

Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com> Tue, 30 October 2001 12:50 UTC

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 07:22:06 -0500
To: Artur Guja <skybird@3miasto.net>
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Lease database storage in DHCPv6
Cc: DHCWG List <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

The scenario you describe in the first paragraph is,
I believe, a reasonably well-known optimization.  One
detail to note is that the server should, on reboot,
consult the transaction cache and complete those
outstanding transactions before processing
any new requests.

In the scenario you describe in the second paragraph,
if a server has no non-volatile storage in which to
record its clients, how does the server know what
clients to contact?

In a followup message, you noted:

>As to other limitations, I'm a bit concerned about the peak network
>load right after the server restart, due to all clients reconfiguring.
>Maybe there should be a random wait defined, just as for SOLICIT, to
>desynchronise the clients.

In DHCPv6, any delay between reconfigure messages
is the responsibility of the server and is not
explicitly described in the protocol specification.
The delay is left unspecified because servers are under
explicitly administrative control and may have widely
varying requirements for load-leveling depending on the
particular network in which those servers are deployed.

- Ralph