[Diffserv] Diffserv at SLC and in future

Kathleen Nichols <nichols@packetdesign.com> Wed, 28 November 2001 19:38 UTC

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:22:22 -0800
From: Kathleen Nichols <nichols@packetdesign.com>
To: diffserv@ietf.org
Subject: [Diffserv] Diffserv at SLC and in future
Sender: diffserv-admin@ietf.org

Diffservers,

We have decided not to hold a diffserv WG meeting at the
Salt Lake City IETF.

As you know, the two documents we had in WG Last Call have passed
with minor comments. This means that the WG has effectively completed
all its milestones. All our drafts except one are on the way to
RFC publication. The differentiated services story isn't over,
but this WG has essentially finished the job it was set up to do
in early 1998.

We do have two PDB drafts in progress that aren't yet
ready to publish, draft-ietf-diffserv-pdb-ar-01.txt and
draft-ietf-diffserv-pdb-bh-03.txt. Both need to have
their experience sections filled in before they can
be advanced to RFC, but they are still "alive" as
documents and list discussion, particularly of experience,
is still relevant. We note that the next revision of
the Bulk Handling PDB draft is in Roland Bless's hands (to
add experience) and, we believe, is expected in Jan or Feb or 02.
Draft-ietf-diffserv-pdb-vw is dormant at this time
since the co-authors did major revision of a
PDB definition for circuit emulation. This may be resurrected
with an experience section in the future.

When PDB drafts are ready in terms of the guidelines in
RFC 3086, they should be posted as drafts and discussed by email
on this list.

Another potential use of the diffserv list is to raise issues
that are barriers to implementation and require further IETF
action, but such should not be confused with general implementation
questions, which should go to the ds-implmentation list. We
(especially BC) will be quick to let you know if you have the
wrong list!

You may also be interested by draft-conta-diffserv-fl-classifier-01.txt.
However, since the diffserv MIB already allows an IPv6 flow label as
a classifier element, we probably do not need any additional standards
action in this area.

Regards
  Brian Carpenter
  Kathie Nichols