Re: [Diffserv] Diffserv at SLC and in future

Roland Bless <bless@tm.uka.de> Tue, 04 December 2001 18:43 UTC

To: Kathleen Nichols <nichols@packetdesign.com>
cc: diffserv@ietf.org, wehrle@tm.uka.de
Subject: Re: [Diffserv] Diffserv at SLC and in future
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 18:09:50 +0100
From: Roland Bless <bless@tm.uka.de>
Sender: diffserv-admin@ietf.org

nichols@packetdesign.com said:
> We do have two PDB drafts in progress that aren't yet ready to
> publish, draft-ietf-diffserv-pdb-ar-01.txt and  draft-ietf-diffserv-pdb
> -bh-03.txt. Both need to have their experience sections filled in
> before they can be advanced to RFC, but they are still "alive" as
> documents and list discussion, particularly of experience, is still
> relevant. We note that the next revision of the Bulk Handling PDB
> draft is in Roland Bless's hands (to add experience) and, we believe,
> is expected in Jan or Feb or 02.

Just a quick confirmation that Jan/Feb 02 is reasonable. Currently,
some more simulations are done, some first results of using Limited
Effort in a multicast context are also listed in Appendix B of
draft-bless-diffserv-multicast-02.txt.

Implementation experience is possibly also gathered by Internet2 people
with their QBSS, but I couldn't find any pointer in the qbss definition
to the BH or LE drafts, although it seems to be derived from our inital
proposal. So we are not sure whether we could/should include a section
about QBSS experience. Furthermore, we think that it would be a good
idea to rename Bulk Handling PDB into Limited Effort PDB, because BH may
be a little bit misleading for its potential application cases.

Regards,
 Roland and Klaus

--
Roland Bless -- e-Mail: bless@tm.uka.de
Institute of Telematics, University of Karlsruhe, Germany