Re: [Dime] [dime] #43: Overstated guidance on session-ending requests.

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Tue, 25 March 2014 23:08 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 18:08:36 -0500
To: Maria Cruz Bartolome <maria.cruz.bartolome@ericsson.com>
Cc: "dime@ietf.org" <dime@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Dime] [dime] #43: Overstated guidance on session-ending requests.

Sorry for dropping this one.

I don't agree.

To recap:

The opening of 3.1.4 says :

The paragraph to which I objected said:

> Session terminating requests should be throttled less aggressively in
>       order to gracefully terminate sessions, allow clean-up of the
>       related resources (e.g. session state) and get rid of the need for
>       other intra-session requests, reducing the session management
>       impact on the overloaded entity.  The default handling of other
>       intra-session requests might be to treat them equally when making
>       throttling decisions.  There might also be application level
>       considerations whether some request types are favored over others.

When taken together, that says to me that we offer non-normative guidance that applications should throttle session terminating requests less aggressively, but that applications would define the exact behavior. I see nothing about local policy here.

The change that would make me happy would be to adjust the end disclaimer to say " The exact behavior ... is a matter of local policy, unless specifically defined for the application."

... and to change the first sentence of the second quote to say "As an example, session terminating requests might be throttled less aggressively..."