Re: [Dime] Federated Authentication Beyond The Web: Problem Statement and Requirements

Klaas Wierenga <klaas@wierenga.net> Mon, 12 July 2010 11:03 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:03:30 +0200
From: Klaas Wierenga <klaas@wierenga.net>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
Cc: Moonshot community list <MOONSHOT-COMMUNITY@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>, dime@ietf.org, radiusext@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dime] Federated Authentication Beyond The Web: Problem Statement and Requirements

On 7/9/10 7:30 PM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:

Hi Hannes,

> sorry for the late response.

np

> Interesting statement.
>
> I agree that there are other approaches (and probably everyone would
> agree with that; we could even list Kerberos).
>
> However, the MOONSHOT BOF is (if I understood it correctly)
> constraint to the mentioned constraints.

hmm, afaik it is a federated authentication BoF, not a Moonshot BoF

> The usage of OpenID in SASL/GSS-API (like you pointed out) will be
> done in KITTEN independently and has different design constraints.

I think there is a bit of misunderstanding, I gave those just as an
example because I happen to be familiar with them. I am happy with those
drafts being in KITTEN, if only to speed things up. So that is not the
point.

My point is that I'd like the BoF to start open-minded. I believe
federated authentication for non-Web is a large and interesting area. I
would like to make sure that we don't rule out beforehand alternative
approaches. I am happy with a charter as outcome that specifies that the
WG is going to take the Moonshot approach, but imo that should be the
*result* of the BoF, not a *precondition*.

Hope this clarifies the misunderstanding.

Klaas

> Ciao Hannes
>
>> On 7/6/10 11:15 AM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
>>
>> Hi Hannes,
>>
>>> at the next IETF meeting we are going to have a BOF about
>>> "Federated
>> Authentication Beyond The Web". In case you have not noticed the
>> work relates to RADIUS and Diameter.
>>>
>>> I wrote this very short problem statement document to explain
>>> the
>> purpose of the BOF:
>>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tschofenig-moonshot-ps-00.txt

Let me know if you find the description useful. Feedback about the BOF