Re: [Dime] DIME Charter Update

"Glen Zorn" <gwz@net-zen.net> Mon, 08 June 2009 07:12 UTC

From: Glen Zorn <gwz@net-zen.net>
To: 'jouni korhonen' <jouni.nospam@gmail.com>, "'Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)'" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:09:27 +0700
Cc: iesg-secretary@ietf.org, dime@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dime] DIME Charter Update

jouni korhonen [mailto://jouni.nospam@gmail.com] writes:

> > The IETF has completed work on the Diameter Base protocol and is
> > working on revising the base protocol specification. There is on-
> going
> > work on defining RADIUS extensions and the DIME WG will ensure
> > that work done in RADEXT is also available for Diameter.

The mandating of forward as well as backward compatibility with RADIUS is an
_extremely_ bad idea, IMHO.  It may be harmless currently, since the
probability of useful extensions to RADIUS being produced by the RADIUS
Extensions WG appears to be close to zero, but it sets a bad precedent.

> > Goals and Milestones:
> >

> [snip]
>
> Should we add draft-korhonen-dime-mip6-feature-bits-00.txt to charter
> (that contains the extracted parts from mip6-split I-D due identified
> IPRs). Even if this draft is trivial and will be informational, having
> it as a WG item would be nice.. or?

Given the history of the IETF, it would be nice only if you really want to
slow the progress of the draft; otherwise, if it really is both trivial &
informational, why not submit it directly to the RFC Editor & be done w/it?