Re: [Dime] Diameter Group: Type?

Erez Nassimi <erez.nassimi@amdocs.com> Tue, 25 January 2011 11:59 UTC

From: Erez Nassimi <erez.nassimi@amdocs.com>
To: "dime@ietf.org" <dime@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:02:40 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [Dime] Diameter Group: Type?

Hi Avi & Sebastian - and thank you David for the support :-)

A few comments and clarifications:

1.       I don't think it's too late to add a "G"rouped bit in flags. Adding a "G" bit, should not revoke / replace Groups as type. It could be an additional feature.

2.       By saying "Group may be basic", I mean it may be a basic concept, but not a basic type.

3.       Syntax parsing the inside level of AVP's might be very useful, when there is a need to filter out irrelevant / incorrect messages as quick as possible.

4.       I think you would agree with me, that when syntax parsing a Diameter message (for example to verify validity of the message), it would be faster to identify a Group, without accessing any other data structure. That's what I mean by performance improvement.

5.       It's clear that when reaching a semantic analysis phase of the Diameter message, one needs ALL necessary info. Group or not Group, this is just a small part of the info in that phase.

6.       In any case, an additional "G" bit cannot harm anything; since in the worst case the Group type info still exists. So the "G" bit can be ignored.

7.       Also "calculating" the "G" bit when creating a message should not be a burden, since the info has to be there anyway.

I hope I'm more clear now.

Regards,
Erez Nassimi