Re: [Dime] draft-korhonen-dime-nai-routing-00.txt

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Fri, 04 July 2008 22:21 UTC

Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 01:21:22 +0300
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: "Korhonen, Jouni /TeliaSonera Finland Oyj" <jouni.korhonen@teliasonera.com>
Cc: dime@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dime] draft-korhonen-dime-nai-routing-00.txt
Sender: dime-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Jouni,

Korhonen, Jouni /TeliaSonera Finland Oyj wrote:
> Hi Hannes,
>
> Our impression after previous discussion was rather clear that routing issues would not be part of rfc3588bis and splitting the concepts of draft-tsou into smaller issues was encouraged. At least i was told so. I would be happy, if we could have the content described in this draft as a part of the rfc3588bis.

Interesting. I thought that the content of "route pinning" would be
separated from the remaining description.

> Backwards compatibility issues are imho clear.. With existing apps and rfc3588 you just don't have quarantees. So you better only apply enhanced routing to newly defined applications that can be explicit on the routing behavior.

Having this to work only for new applications sounds OK although it
raises the question on what todo with Diameter EAP, for example. Would
you expect Diameter application designers to go for the new routing
style for every new Diameter applications or only selectively (or even
to define two application IDs -- one following the old style and another
one for the new style). Consider, for example, the current Diameter
MIPv6 HA<->AAAS work.

> And what is wrong with short drafts? Here we just have one issue that we want to be explicit about.

Nothing wrong with short drafts. I was just wondering whether you have
thought that the discussion would be too long for the RFC 3588bis
document and therefore it was put into a separate draft.

Ciao
Hannes