this list is moving and being renamed as apps-discuss@ietf.org

James Galvin <galvin+discuss@elistx.com> Tue, 26 February 2008 14:19 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:19:00 -0500
From: James Galvin <galvin+discuss@elistx.com>
Subject: this list is moving and being renamed as apps-discuss@ietf.org
To: discuss@apps.ietf.org
Sender: discuss-bounces@ietf.org

The IESG has decided that all ietf.org mailing lists should be in
the ietf.org domain.  In almost all cases this decision has no
effect and is invisible for all practical purposes.  IETF hosted
mailing lists have always been valid in the ietf.org domain
regardless of their sub-domain.

This mailing list is one of the very few exceptions, caused in
large part by the fact that the apps.ietf.org domain has been
delegated and hosted off-site, but the mailing lists were never
really delegated.  In addition, the new infrastructure enforces
virtual domains while the old infrastructure did not.  In
combination, these two facts are what caused the discuss list to
fail after the cut-over.

We are aware that some mailing lists, this one included, are listed
in RFCs and other formal documents.  For these lists backwards
compatibility will be maintained.

This list has the additional problem of being named "discuss",
which was not a problem in the apps.ietf.org domain but is too
generic for use in the ietf.org domain.  Therefore, this list will
be renamed as apps-discuss.

The old archives will be left in place.  The new archives will be
created and maintained by Mailman, although they will not be
accessible for a short while.

The IETF has historically managed its own archives for its mailing
lists.  This means we have home-grown scripts for creating the text
archives and the web archives.  The web archive script uses MHonArc.

We are going to migrate all IETF hosted mailing lists to use the
Mailman archive system, leaving all old archives intact.  Until
that change takes place, Mailman only archives will be
inaccessible.  We expect this change to take place within the next
2-3 weeks.  Please be patient about accessing the archives until
that time.

All subscribers of discuss@apps.ietf.org will be moved to
apps-discuss@ietf.org.  A notice will be sent to the new list as
soon as the move is complete.  This change will take place later
today.  You may want to update any filters you have that depend on
this information now.

For those who "remember" their Mailman password for the discuss
mailing list, you will need to set a new password for the
apps-discuss list using the usual Mailman process, after the new
list is operational

Thanks,

Jim