RE: [Disman] FW: draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-v2-09.txt

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Tue, 14 March 2006 15:03 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:03:26 +0200
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
Subject: RE: [Disman] FW: draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-v2-09.txt
Cc: "David Kessens (E-mail)" <david.kessens@nokia.com>, "Disman (E-mail) (E-mail)" <disman@ietf.org>

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:

> Pekka, this may be true for how you pass the address to the underlying
> lookup function. But I think what you are after here does NOT belong
> in the InetAddressType and InetAddress TCs (see RFC4001). So I would
> strongly recommend to keep what we have. An implementation can choose
> to just use the InetAddress value and pass that as is to the
> underlying lookup functions which will then figure out what sort of
> address it is.

So, I guess the first order problem we have here is that while RC 4001
provides sufficient detailed TC's, it does not provide a standards
track mechanism of saying "this is an IP address, but I don't care
which IP version".

The secondary issue which isn't yet clear to me is what is the benefit
of using RFC 4001 TC's as the mandatory (or only) types in this
context.  I.e., is there harm to network management or the protocol in
allowing an arbitrary text string (with a maximum length) as input?

Either way, I don't care too much because I'm not going to use
NSLOOKUP MIB myself, but it seems really backwards if we depend either
on implementation specific InetAddress hacks or requiring the user to
specify the address type to look up.  Any approach that would require
allowing the user to specify an IP address without specifying its type
(letting the MIB module implementation to figure it out) would be
great.

>>> They are listed as "for example", so I think that that is OK.
>>
>> I have to disagree with this because the example doesn't work. (On the
>> other hand, if the spec said, "getaddrinfo() or gethostbyname() and
>> gethostbyname2()", then I think it would be workable though
>> deprecated by the latest IPv6 API documents.
>
> I guess the examples are IPv4 examples, no?
> Does it not work for that either?
> If it does work for IPv4, then I think the examples are fine.
> If not even that, then maybe a better example can be used instead.

Yes, those examples would be OK with just IPv4.

Nowhere does it say that those are IPv4-specific examples (and if it
said, I'd have a problem with that because the spec needs to be
IP-version -agnostic :), so the readers should assume they are generic
examples, right?