RE: [Disman] FW: draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-v2-09.txt

Juergen Quittek <quittek@netlab.nec.de> Wed, 15 March 2006 00:19 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 01:19:05 +0100
From: Juergen Quittek <quittek@netlab.nec.de>
To: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>, "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
Subject: RE: [Disman] FW: draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-v2-09.txt
Cc: "David Kessens (E-mail)" <david.kessens@nokia.com>, "Disman (E-mail) (E-mail)" <disman@ietf.org>

Hi Pekka,

--On 3/13/06 10:13 AM +0200 Pekka Savola wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:
>> OK, looked into this in some more detail.
>> Inline my responses. Document author or WG chair can chime
>> in if they want.
>>> Substantial
>>> -----------
>>>
>>> I have a number of concerns about NSLOOKUP part of the MIB mobule.
>>>
>>> 1) It's not clear whether the host, given e.g., 'dns' as a lookup
>>> type, is only supposed to make a DNS lookup (which is what 'nslookup'
>>> does), or also consult /etc/hosts or equivalent (also possibly NIS or
>>> other similar directories as specified by /etc/nsswitch.conf or
>>> equivalent) if appropriate.
>>>

>> Possibly that could be clarified somewhat. I think it is an implementation
>> matter (the way I interpret it), but even that could be stated.
>> If WG chair and author/editor agree, pls sens a proposed piece of text
>> that I can tell RFC-Editor to add.
>
> Agreed.  I don't think this is a major issue itself, but if the intent is
> to give consistent results across implementations, some things need to be
> said about this.

Would you be fine with the change I proposed in a message to Joel Halpern:

OLD:
3.3.3.  lookupResultsTable

   The lookupResultsTable is used to store the results of lookup
   operations.  The lookupResultsTable is initially indexed by the same

NEW:
3.3.3.  lookupResultsTable

   The lookupResultsTable is used to store the results of lookup
   operations.  Results to be reported here SHOULD be results of
   a lookup function that is commonly used by applications at the
   managed node. This implies that results are not necessarily
   consistent with the results of a pure DNS lookup at the
   managed node, but may be influenced by local lookup tables or
   other source of information, depending on the configuration of
   the managed node.

   The lookupResultsTable is initially indexed by the same

?

Thanks,

    Juergen