Re: [dispatch] VIPR - proposed charter version 2

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com> Thu, 17 June 2010 16:24 UTC

From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, DISPATCH list <dispatch@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 18:24:30 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [dispatch] VIPR - proposed charter version 2

"The VIPR WG will address this problem by developing a peer to peer based
approach to finding domains that claim to be responsible for a given
phone number..."
Does it necessarily have to be a peer-to-peer based approach? The ENUM/DNS approach is still a good approach for querying, but the issue is that with public ENUM the database simply doesn't get populated. So the key issue is finding a secure and attractive way of populating the database. Does the charter really need to include the words "peer to peer based", or should that be left as a matter for discussion at the solution stage?

John