Re: [dispatch] Yet another problem to dispatch

Emil Ivov <emcho@sip-communicator.org> Thu, 28 May 2009 16:26 UTC

Sender: Emil Ivov <emil@sip-communicator.org>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 18:28:30 +0200
From: Emil Ivov <emcho@sip-communicator.org>
To: dispatch@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Yet another problem to dispatch

Hey John,

Elwell, John wrote:
> Emil,
>
> But then you would need some sort of throttling, to prevent the UI
> constantly changing the list of names whose volumes are displayed. If
> the mixer were to do this throttling it would reduce the frequency of
> messages, which might allow a bigger choice of potential solutions.

I am not sure I understand exactly what you mean by throttling. Mixers
could be implemented to only include sound level information for the
loudest speakers thus having the possibility to ignore silent and almost
silent ones. It should be up to the mixer to determine the exact
threshold since that's where bandwidth would be most precious. Is this
what you are suggesting?

Then, once a client gets this information it can consider (and I guess
that's in line with 3550) that all CSRCs not present in a particular
packet have been silent for the corresponding period of time.

As to how exactly the client would render the sound level information,
whether or not it would display all of it, and whether it would somehow
rearrange participants, that should really be up to the UI implementors.

Does this make sense?

Cheers
Emil