Re: [dispatch] Yet another problem to dispatch

"Ingemar Johansson S" <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com> Thu, 28 May 2009 05:53 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 07:54:29 +0200
From: Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com>
To: dispatch@ietf.org
Cc: Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Yet another problem to dispatch

Hi

When it comes to the use of header extensions I would believe that it is
better to reference to the freshly baked RFC5285 which describes a
general mechanism for the use of header extensions.

Of all the listed options I personally find the header extension option
the most useful. The extension format would also be relatively compact
as the levels for each contributor can be put in the same order as the
contributors listed on the CSRC list. In addition, the header extension
does not need to be included in each packet, if a 10Hz update of the
meters is sufficient then the header extension would only be added every
5 packets (assuming a 20ms codec). The reading would be fast and most
important.. synchronized with the speech signal. The worst thing that
could happen if an endpoint (or whatever) discards the header extension
is that the client has to fall back to a binary CSRC activity
indication.
Given that the levels are represented with one octet each a header
extension would add ~5+CC bytes to the packets size padded to the
nearest 32bit boundary (CC = number of CSRC) , I believe that this is
manageable especially as each CSRC cost 4 bytes.

I don't believe that implementing an alternative use/interpretation of
the CSRC list is a good idea, first of all I suspect that it would
likely be unsynchronized with the speech signal as one need to average
the activity for each contributor. Also participants makes all kinds of
noise (besides talking), often very short noise burst but they will
trigger an actvity signal for a longer time than the actual noise burst,
leading to unrealisticly high levels for the noisy persons. Finally, as
you point out there may be some interop issues.

Regards
Ingemar