Re: [dispatch] Draft: CBUS (Condition-based URI Subscription) requirements draft - draft-holmberg-dispatch-cbus-00.txt

"Christer Holmberg" <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> Thu, 28 May 2009 06:33 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 08:34:55 +0200
From: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
To: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, dispatch@ietf.org

Hi,

>Reading this draft, I am wondering if this actually has
>anything to do with SIP?  (Other than the fact that OMA chose
>to work on it, and decided SIP was the right solution space.)

My assumption is that the most likely protocol output of this would be a
new SIP event package (used to transport the URI list), and some
mechanism to provide the conditions from the CBUS client to the CBUS
server (most likely as part of the subscription). However, in order to
follow the procedures I decided to start with requirements.

The CBUS enabler does contain more requirements than those listed in the
draft, but those are not related to SIP. The draft only contains the
requirements on the SIP interface between the CBUS client and CBUS
server.

>It appears that the client is looking for some "servers" (which may be
>people) which meet certain constraints.  I am as likely to want xmpp:
>URIs, or even HTTP: URIs, as SIP: URIs (should I say TEL:?)
>for the cases that I can imagine based on the example in the draft.

The client is not looking for servers. The client is looking for users,
which fulfills certain conditions.

>This seems an interesting general application.  Unless we
>really want to turn SIP into the next HTTP: (REST over HTTP
>as a general application infrastructure), I am slightly confused.

Event notifications is already we something have in SIP, so there is
nothing new there. The new thing would be that the subscriber, in
addition to only indicate which event he wants to describe also, also
indicate conditions.

Regards,

Christer