Re: [dispatch] Draft: CBUS (Condition-based URI Subscription) requirements draft - draft-holmberg-dispatch-cbus-00.txt

"Christer Holmberg" <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> Thu, 28 May 2009 06:51 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 08:53:10 +0200
From: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
To: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Cc: dispatch@ietf.org

Hi,

I will try to address the comments given by Dean, Cullen, Dale and
others in a single reply. Please let me know if I forgot something.

First, I didn't want to copy/past the whole OMA spec into the draft, but
if there are problems to understand what the proposal is about more text
will of course be added. I thought I had covered all the acronyms, but
that can of course also be fixed.

Second, as I said in another e-mail, my assumption is that the outcome
of this is (at least):

1. An event package in order to deliver the URI list
2. A mechanism to provide the conditions, which the server will use for
the evaluation

So, the idea is to use the existing SIP SUB/NOT mechanism. The only
"new" thing is to provide the conditions as part of the subscription.

Third, I am not sure I would call it a configuration-delivery problem.
Of course, the conditions can be said to "configure" the CBUS server,
when it starts looking for matching URIs. But, the conditions can be
unique for every subscription, so that is the reason why it is proposed
to deliver the subscription specific conditions as part of the
subscription.

Last, I don't agree to that the the functionality is a pure
request/response protocol. It is a sub/not functionaltiy: you may not
get the "response" (notification") immediately, and in some cases a
single subscription may trigger multiple notifications.

Regards,

Christer