Re: [dispatch] Presentation of Text Conversation in real-time and en-bloc form

Arnoud van Wijk <arnoud.vanwijk@realtimetext.org> Tue, 21 June 2011 09:43 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:43:35 +0200
From: Arnoud van Wijk <arnoud.vanwijk@realtimetext.org>
To: dispatch@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Presentation of Text Conversation in real-time and en-bloc form

Some more explanation why this draft is valuable:
The use of RTT in combination with en-bloc systems (Instant Messaging)
and multiple RTT users is a new territory for most of us at the IETF.
This draft is a actually a BCP specifying the recommended procedures to
follow in implementations among the enormous amount of available
options. In this way we want to prevent that many implementers are
unsure or getting confused on *what is the best way* to add RTT to the
clients/system interfaces and how to present it to the user.

That is why this draft contains new material on the presentation level.
In most IETF publications the presentation level is seldom described,
but in this case very positive comments have been made about that this
draft deals with that important level.  It is also important for the end
- to - end interoperability to describe the possible presentations.

I hope that this does clarify why we have this draft so that we can
ensure good working interoperable systems with RTT included.

Sincerely

Arnoud van Wijk