Re: [dispatch] PCP for SIP Deployments

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Wed, 11 March 2015 07:05 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 07:05:31 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.5]
Cc: "dispatch@ietf.org" <dispatch@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dispatch] PCP for SIP Deployments

Dear Cullen,

Thank you for the comment.

I agree with you it is more robust to use PCP along with other mechanisms for the generic case. In such case, PCP offer other functionalities that are not listed in this I-D, e.g., NAT detect.

I also agree that if the SIP UA does not use the PCP response to build its messages, then relying on rport and outbound will be needed even if PCP is used to instantiate the requested mappings. What we are suggesting in this draft is that we can disable those features if the SIP UA relies on the returned external IP Address, external port number, the pair(s) of ports that preserve parity to build an offer/answer.

We had this text in the I-D:

   In deployments where ICE [RFC5245] is required, PCP can be of great
   help as discussed in [I-D.penno-rtcweb-pcp] for the WebRTC case.  ICE
   can be used in the context of SIP over WebSocket [RFC7118] and WebRTC
   when deployed within managed networks.  Because TURN suffers from
   limitations in traversing NAT and firewalls over UDP, PCP is a
   promising solution that can complement ICE in those deployment
   contexts to soften the experienced high failure rate [ICEFailure].

The point is that this draft was initially scoped to cover the very specific case of SIP service delivery in managed networks. In those networks, PCP proxies and/or IGD/PCP Inetworking functions can be enabled if needed and justified. E.g.,
* Deliver SIP service to a DS-Lite serviced customer: there is only one level of NAT that is in the network side. The CPE does not include any NAT. The SIP endpoint can be embedded in the CPE itself or be located behind.
* Access to an IPv4 SIP service platform via a NAT64: Only one level of NAT will be experienced. This is more for the ongoing IPv6-only deployments in mobile networks.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Med