Re: [dispatch] I-D Action:draft-wing-dispatch-v6-migration-00.txt

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com> Wed, 01 September 2010 16:00 UTC

From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: IETF DISPATCH list <dispatch@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 18:01:10 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [dispatch] I-D Action:draft-wing-dispatch-v6-migration-00.txt

Thanks to the authors for writing this draft, which was triggered by the Bar BoF in Maastricht, which was in turn triggered by drafts discussed in MMUSIC such as ICE-microlite (of which I am a co-author) and ALTC.

Whilst doubting the need for connectivity checks (whether they be STUN-based, RTP-based, RTCP-based or whatever) in certain closed networks, in my opinion, where connectivity checks are needed, the existing STUN-based connectivity checks will suffice. To introduce a second method (whether RTP-based, RTCP-based or STUN-based-without-SHA1) will not help interoperability, and will likely introduce as many problems as it solves.

John