[dispatch] A new initiative in the transport area: do DISPATCHers want such strategic work?

Bob Briscoe <ietf@bobbriscoe.net> Fri, 23 October 2015 07:39 UTC

From: Bob Briscoe <ietf@bobbriscoe.net>
To: dispatch@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 08:39:02 +0100
Cc: "De Schepper, Koen (Koen)" <koen.de_schepper@alcatel-lucent.com>
Subject: [dispatch] A new initiative in the transport area: do DISPATCHers want such strategic work?

DISPATCHers,

We have a question at the end, addressed to DISPATCH people as
'customers' of the transport layer.
Particularly about apps wanting low latency (i.e. nearly everything).
*
**Background*

If you saw our stand at Bits N Bites, or the demo in the active queue
management (AQM) WG in Prague, you will know what we're talking about...

We showed a video feed from a panoramic camera at a football match
delivered down a broadband access. You could pan and zoom the HD picture
with finger gestures and the delay was so low it seemed to stick to your
finger, while 100 flows per second of Web traffic and more than a dozen
long-running flows were all being downloaded thru the same 40Mb/s access
line. This wasn't Diffserv - not QoS at the expense of other traffic, so
no need for permission to use a class. This was AQM for /all/ the
packets in all the flows - all getting the same ultra-low delay.

We didn't modify the apps at all, we just switched the stack underneath
the TCP apps to a 'scalable' TCP. The interactive video app just
auto-adjusted its buffer 'cos it detected very low delay and jitter. The
stats are pretty stunning: zero congestion loss and ultra-low queuing
latency (99th percentile of about 1 millisecond) with no reduction in
link utilization either.

The insight is that 'classic' TCPs (New Reno, Cubic etc.) have been
scaling badly - the sawteeth are getting longer and the responsiveness
has been getting slower as flow rates increase. The trick is to classify
the old 'classic' TCP traffic behind a `semi-permeable membrane'. For
flow-rate it's like the same queue, but for queuing delay it's a second
queue. Then all the 'modern' apps can migrate to using the good queue,
where r-t apps can safely coexist with apps using (scalable) TCP,
(scalable) SCTP, RTP, etc. and they all get low delay, whether for Web
browsing, gaming, interactive video, voice, http adaptive streaming, etc.
*
**The Question*

This initiative is going to need standardisation across 3 different WGs
in the transport area (AQM, TCPM and TSVWG), with incremental changes in
access networks and updates to host stacks (we used DCTCP as the
scalable TCP, which is already in Windows Server and there's a patch for
Linux). So we're looking for feedback on this question:
==> From the ART/RAI viewpoint, does the potential benefit make it worth
being this ambitious?

*More Info*

We've asked if we can give a heads-up about this in DISPATCH in
Yokahoma. The work we're proposing is outside ART, but dispatch is the
closest we've got to an RAI area meeting. And I promised the chairs I
would start this thread on the dispatch mailing list, so people can
prepare and ask questions.

Drafts:
The simple dual-queue algo (~15 lines of pseudocode in appendix)
implemented as a Linux multiqueue qdisc:
     <draft-briscoe-aqm-dualq-coupled
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-aqm-dualq-coupled>>
The packet identifier:
     <draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id>>
The fix to TCP-ECN feedback:
     <draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-accurate-ecn
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-accurate-ecn>>
(RFC7560 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7560> sets the requirements)

Background paper with rationale in english and maths, plus experimental
evaluation:
<http://www.bobbriscoe.net/projects/latency/dctth_preprint.pdf>

Meetecho video of Koen's talk & demo in IETF-93 AQM WG (starts @ about
33 mins):