Re: [dmarc-ietf] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-srose-dkim-ecc-00.txt

Federico Santandrea <federico.santandrea@diennea.com> Fri, 07 April 2017 10:19 UTC

To: dmarc@ietf.org
From: Federico Santandrea <federico.santandrea@diennea.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2017 12:18:52 +0200
Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-srose-dkim-ecc-00.txt

I agree that to avoid downgrade attacks there has to be a way to mark a
key as obsolete in the DNS, meaning: "don't use this key if you know
what this means". But I don't see a need to explicitly put another
algorithm name in the field.

For example, let's say an obsolete record can be marked with just "o=1"
to say it should only be considered by legacy verifiers who don't know
better. A new resolver would only consider keys that are NOT marked as
obsolete, and ignore the others. So if a message is only signed with
keys marked as obsolete (downgrade scenario), legacy verifiers would
pass, while new ones wouldn't.

Another thought:

If we want to put a meaningful value in this new field, I think it would
be more useful to make it the time since when the key was obsoleted,
this would allow for mail dated before that moment (which was correctly
signed only with then-not-obsolete keys) to pass verification. This
should be optional, so one could choose if he rather have some valid
mail fail verification, or risk some invalid back-dated mail pass
verification.

--
Federico