Re: [dmarc-ietf] Trying to understand DMARC in light of Sender/indicators

Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net> Wed, 30 September 2020 14:05 UTC

To: Brandon Long <blong=40google.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, IETF DMARC WG <dmarc@ietf.org>
From: Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 07:05:29 -0700
Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Trying to understand DMARC in light of Sender/indicators

On 9/29/2020 6:56 PM, Brandon Long wrote:
> Although I'm not fully convinced by Dave's point on whether indicators
> are useless (they certainly are not of large value, I'm less certain
> in the margins)

I fully appreciate (and actually share) the emotional attachment to the
belief that this is somehow useful for recipient decision-making, but it
lacks any meaningful objective support.

Show me studies that demonstrate efficacy.  And explain away the ones
that don't.

It took awhile for people to accept that the Earth is not the center of
the universe.  We seem similarly stuck here.

> .. I think I need to work through what DMARC is without that.

+1

> DMARC is composed of three things: alignment, policy and reporting.

+1

> I think the argument is that the most important thing that DMARC
> brings is message authentication.. but that's not actually what DMARC
> brings, but perhaps we can view the point of DMARC as pushing forward
> the authenticated message agenda.

It is certainly taken as essential.

But it isn't clear what you mean by "pushing forward the authenticated
message agenda".  I can guess, but it's taking as a given something that
has not been stated clearly and does not have any obvious documentation
as support.

(Also, I'll anticipate the clarification and suggest that the agenda is
actually accountability, where authentication is a mechanism to aid it.
This is more than vocabulary quibbling.  It suggests a different focus
that might permit more useful discussion about means and alternatives.)

> In some ways, it's well defined to be such a forcing function.  Policy
> and alignment make it easy for various bodies to point to it as
> something they require entities to do, and reporting gives them the
> path to do it and measure their success against it.

Reporting does more than that.

(And fwiw, from the start, I've felt that the reporting capability was,
by far, the most important feature of this work.)

> Alignment makes policy application easy, and it also makes reporting
> easy.

+1

> The Sender proposal hijacks the alignment,

So does re-writing the From: field, but you appear to find that
acceptable.  Why?

> bringing in another possible policy to enforce and a different
> potential reporting path.

ibid.

> The draft makes it clear which policy is enforced

No it doesn't.  Again, I suspect you are working from the original
draft, rather than the current one.

> (though of course that only works if the receiver supports the Sender
> extension), but various folks on the list have referred to the matrix
> problem of looking at the policies of both, so at least it brings
> confusion.  It does provide confusion of "ownership".  DMARC currently
> provides very clear ownership, even if that is overly simplified for
> the pre-existing ecosystem.  Adding Sender muddies that, even if it is
> a better match.

For any filtering engine that is not simplistic and mechanical -- which
is any competent engine that is competently operated -- The current
DMARC merely adds a signal, rather than a trivial means of resolution,
and adding more signal does not 'muddy' anything.

> If both Sender & From fail evaluation, do we report to both?

Possibly.  So?

> Should we report Sender overrides to the From,

There are no overrides.  So this characterization is meaningful.

But since I can see a possibly-interesting point lurking here, I'll
offer a re-casting:

    If both Sender: and From: have domain names subject to DMARC
    processing, and one succeeds while the other fails, what, if any,
    reporting should be made to the one that failed?

My quick reaction is that it would be appropriate and useful to report
the failure to the domain owner AND to indicate the alternate domain
name that succeeded.

> should we report which From we're overriding to the Sender?

What do you mean "which From"?

If you meant which Sender: domain succeeded, where the From: failed,
then I believe yes, it could be useful to report that.

> How does the Sender overrider benefit from reporting?

What does this question mean?  I don't understand it.

> They'll have even less opportunity to "fix" things, since presumably
> they have a more straightforward role, and without the existence of
> the header, they have no role at all, so the best it could be is
> "places we add the header but fail to sign" or all the other normal
> intermediary cases where DMARC currently fails.

I don't understand this, either.  At the least, the references in it are
too vague.

> Does DMARC that allows third party overrides via Sender provide the
> same incentive to originators?

Does From field re-writing provide the same incentives?  Why or why not?

> In the sense that it makes it easier to get to p=reject as there are
> fewer false rejects, probably.  In the sense that it undermines the
> simple explanation for what DMARC does, I think it will harm DMARC
> adoption.

The simple explanation of what DMARC does is classically Procrustean.
It's simple only if one constrains things quite a lot.

> In some ways, I fear that the Sender proposal is a solution for the
> mailing list problem that throws out almost everything that DMARC added.

Do does From: field re-writing.

d/

--
Dave Crocker