[dmarc-ietf] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-dmarc-rfc7601bis-04: (with COMMENT)

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Wed, 21 November 2018 02:49 UTC

From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-dmarc-rfc7601bis@ietf.org, Tim Draegen <tim@dmarcian.com>, dmarc-chairs@ietf.org, tim@dmarcian.com, dmarc@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 18:49:04 -0800
Subject: [dmarc-ietf] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-dmarc-rfc7601bis-04: (with COMMENT)

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dmarc-rfc7601bis-04: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dmarc-rfc7601bis/

COMMENT:

Thanks to everyone for the work that went into this revision.

I agree with Ben's DISCUSS. In particular, I'm concerned by the text in §6.4,
which indicates that the IANA registry will continue to point at RFC 7410 while
the actual *meaning* of those values will mean something different than RFC 7410
defines. At a minimum, I think this document needs to add itself to the IANA
table for those entries.

But I think the cleanest approach -- and the one that is most consistent with
the predecessor documents to this one -- is to copy the IANA entries forward
with an indication that the values are already registered, but should be updated
to point to this document.

RFC 7208 is referred to by both [SPF] and [RFC7208], while only appearing as
[SPF] in the references section. Consider rationalizing this.

I recognize that the title was copied directly from RFC 7601, but please
consider revising it to indicate that this document pertains to email.

§1.5.1:

>  The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
>  "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
>  document are to be interpreted as described in [KEYWORDS].

Please consider updating to match the boilerplate in RFC 8174.

I have otherwise reviewed the diffs from RFC 7601, and find nothing to comment
on. I echo Ben's comments thanking you for making limited changes to the
document.