Re: [DMM] "A Day in the Life of an Enterprise Mobile Device User"

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Thu, 04 September 2014 09:50 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 11:50:09 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: dmm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DMM] "A Day in the Life of an Enterprise Mobile Device User"

Le 04/09/2014 08:47, Alper Yegin a écrit :
> Hi Fred,
>
> Can this scenario not be realized by simply placing an HA in the
> enterprise network and using Mobile IP?

I guess yes and no.

YEs, in that it is a typical Mobile IP scenario with handovers
WiFi/4G/Ethernet.

No, in that "VPN" is cited in the scenario and VPN+Mobile IP are not
working well together.

No, in that TIP (DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation?) is not clear how to work
with a EUD device ID?  Is it Ethernet's, WiFi's or 4G's interface MAC
address?

No, in that Mobile IP and prefixes are not known to lead to optimal
routes, whereas the scenario says "optimal routes".

No - but this is a stretch - the scenario does not mention the
neceessity of user typing secure  information on a screen (authenticate
to web page on a public hotspot prior to ability to Mobile IP, or use
One-Time Password tokens for VPN connections); any "seamless" mobility
mechanism will need to automate this step; this is even more needed when
considering devices without user interfaces, such as Mobile Routers
using Mobile IP for a vehicle.

Alex