Re: [DMM] DMM framework

Marco Liebsch <Marco.Liebsch@neclab.eu> Wed, 06 November 2013 08:48 UTC

From: Marco Liebsch <Marco.Liebsch@neclab.eu>
To: "Dirk.von-Hugo@telekom.de" <Dirk.von-Hugo@telekom.de>, "dmm@ietf.org" <dmm@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 08:47:40 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.7.0.204]
Subject: Re: [DMM] DMM framework

Dear Dirk,

thanks a lot for your review and for your comments. Please see inline for my response.

That was a key idea behind the framework to allow building a DMM solution
that allows exposing relevant states to the dataplane, e.g. routers, SDN controllers, etc,
and to enable inter-working, aiming at an optimized routing path to the MN's current anchor
The specifications of the DMM group could take such framework to specify the hooks between the
mobility control plane and e.g. a transport network control plane without interfering
with other WGs or SDOs.

>As usually the network analysis will focus on the performance parameters
>denoted below.  I think therefore the framework activities are valuable work
>from an operators point of view which we should intensify - thus perhaps helping
>the resulting protocol proposals to be deployed in reality one day.

Yes, support for building a DMM solution that integrates well with an operator's
architecture is a valid point.
The framework could also be used to identify gaps in available protocols and architectures,
not only mobility protocols, but also transport network related components, e.g. BGP, SDN technology, LISP, MPLS, etc.
Closing these gaps and interfacing the mobility control plane with the transport network control plane
enables suitable solutions for DMM.

>Perhaps one could add in sect. 4.1/4.2 that within MN in Fig. 2 and Fig.3 the
>corresponding FEs FE_MU_U and FE_MU_C are not included since for PMIP6
>they reside in MAG ... this surely will become clear from the appendices A1/A2
>later on.

True, the mobile host components have not been captured in these two figures
as the focus was on the placement of the DMM-specific functions. But you have
a point here, we should at least clarify this in the test. Thanks for spotting this.

>If I remember correctly it was agreed that both framework documents (i.e.
>compared to http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-chan-dmm-framework-03.txt) with
>their different way of abstraction can complement each other and should
>continue, right?

Yes, they can be considered complementary. Hope both can be useful and support
the specifications of the DMM group by identifying required protocol functions and
interfaces for both, mobility protocols and transport network technology.

Thanks again for your feedback,
marco