Re: [DMM] DMM framework

<Dirk.von-Hugo@telekom.de> Thu, 31 October 2013 15:59 UTC

From: Dirk.von-Hugo@telekom.de
To: Marco.Liebsch@neclab.eu, dmm@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 16:58:53 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
Subject: Re: [DMM] DMM framework

Dear Marco, all,

I think the idea of describing mobility management functions in a generic and modular way can help to allow for fair comparison of different existing approaches and new extensions towards fulfillment of DMM requirements. As your draft shows also routing-protocol based approaches as LISP can be described by this nomenclature.  With the new functional entities - and the defined reference points in between - and the abstraction of the mobility related ones it thus should help to analyse general network architectures and functional decompositions for both fixed and mobile sessions - in a similar fashion as SDN/NFV (Software Defined Networks/Network Function Virtualization) concepts proceed.

As usually the network analysis will focus on the performance parameters denoted below.  I think therefore the framework activities are valuable work from an operators point of view which we should intensify - thus perhaps helping the resulting protocol proposals to be deployed in reality one day.

Perhaps one could add in sect. 4.1/4.2 that within MN in Fig. 2 and Fig.3 the corresponding FEs FE_MU_U and FE_MU_C are not included since for PMIP6 they reside in MAG ... this surely will become clear from the appendices A1/A2 later on.

If I remember correctly it was agreed that both framework documents (i.e. compared to http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-chan-dmm-framework-03.txt) with their different way of abstraction can complement each other and should continue, right?

Thanks!

Best regards
Dirk