Re: [DMM] New Version Notification for draft-sarikaya-dmm-cloud-mm-00.txt

<karagian@cs.utwente.nl> Sun, 04 November 2012 19:52 UTC

From: karagian@cs.utwente.nl
To: sarikaya@ieee.org, dmm@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 19:52:35 +0000
x-originating-ip: [130.129.67.215]
Subject: Re: [DMM] New Version Notification for draft-sarikaya-dmm-cloud-mm-00.txt

Hi Behcet,

I would like to mention that I find this draft useful due to the following reasons.

Currently, there is a trend to implement more and more functions of a mobile communication network in software, e.g., for signal and protocol processing. This enables the use of cloud computing infrastructures as processing platforms for signal and protocol processing of mobile communication networks, in particular for current (4G) and future (5G) generation cellular networks.
This can of course only be realized if, among others, efficient mobility management solutions are supported like the ones that are in line with what DMM would like to specify.
I think therefore, that the DMM WG could also consider the distributed mobility management support in cloud computing like architectures as a possible use case.

Regarding your draft I have some comments:
The draft mentions some limitation of the existing mobility management solutions in cloud-like architectures. However, these limitations are not clearly focussing on the requirements specified in http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-dmm-requirements-02.txt.
I think that this will make the desciption of the limitations clearer!
Moreover, it might also be useful to show describe these limitations by using as use as context a generic framework, like the one introduced in http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-chan-dmm-framework-gap-analysis-05.txt and/or
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-liebsch-dmm-framework-analysis-00.txt.

Best regards,
Georgios