Re: [dns-privacy] Direction of draft-mayrhofer-edns0-padding

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Wed, 29 July 2015 13:55 UTC

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 14:55:01 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, Alexander Mayrhofer <alexander.mayrhofer@nic.at>
Cc: "dns-privacy@ietf.org" <dns-privacy@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dns-privacy] Direction of draft-mayrhofer-edns0-padding

On 29/07/15 14:41, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2015, at 5:28, Alexander Mayrhofer wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm working through my notes from the DPRIVE session regarding the
>> EDNS0 Padding option. My takeaway was as follows:
>>
>> - Generally, this seems to be a reasonable idea
>
> That may be too strong of an assessment. There were questions about
> whether the padding should be done in DNS or in TLS. My personal view is
> that if the two types of padding give similar benefits, it absolutely
> should be done in TLS for many reasons.

With no hats, I disagree. Given that we don't yet know how
to effectively pad at any layer, my belief is that we should
define the basic mechanism at every layer so that when someone
does figure it out, the protocol mechanics exist.

The way I think about this is a) the most effective padding
can be done in the application layer, but b) that may not be
feasible so lower layer padding (esp in TLS) should also
exist and on the 3rd hand - there may be a few cases where
different protocols are multiplexed in such a way that one
lower layer padding mechanism could help with both, but
that'll be really rare.

> I think we need to get more
> input (possibly from CFRG) about the benefits of padding at each layer.

(With hat:-) CFRG is not the right group for a few reasons. First -
effective use of padding like this isn't a crypto thing - we're not
dealing with a block cipher here. CFRG are also busy enough right now
on stuff they should be getting done.

But we don't actually have a centre of expertise about effective
padding so I can see why you suggest CFRG. Ideas as to how to try
foster/create such a thing would be welcome. Mostly I think the
hard part there will be to attract the few folks who know about
this topic and are willing to work on it openly.

>> - Besides the use to evade size-based message correlation, this could
>> also be useful in other cases, eg. "proof of work" for clients when
>> requesting larger packets (Peter K.)
>
> This is possibly a bad idea. In the IPsecME WG, we have had an active
> work item on proof-of-work for clients to prevent DDoS, with lots of
> good discussion on how to do it, and we're probably going to only leave
> it as an Experimental document. In summary, adding proof-of-work hurts
> the group you care most about, namely clients on small machines.

I also think separating out proof-of-work ideas is better.

Cheers,
S.