[dnsext] RRTYPE request: template for ZS record

Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com> Fri, 21 November 2008 19:10 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:03:48 -0600
From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com>
To: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Subject: [dnsext] RRTYPE request: template for ZS record
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

Dear colleagues,

Attached is a completed template requesting an RRTYPE assignment under
the procudures of draft-ietf-dnsext-2929bis.

This request will be evaluated by expert review.  This mail initiates
a three week comment period on the RRTYPE request.  If you have
comments on the request, please post them to this list.

As we've been doing so far, we'll have all the appointed experts do
the work this round.  This is slightly at variance with the procedures
as outlined in 2929bis; we're still getting experience with the
procedures, and so it seems to me to be advantageous to duplicate
effort for now to gain that experience.  I anticipate that at some
point in the future, we'll return to the practice of asking just one
expert to perform the review.

Best regards,

Andrew

--
Andrew Sullivan
ajs@shinkuro.com

    A.    Submission Date:

	6/11/08

    B.   Submission Type:
         [x] New RRTYPE
         [ ] Modification to existing RRTYPE

    C.   Contact Information for submitter:
                Name: Jim Reid
                Email Address: jim@telnic.org
                International telephone number: +44 20 7467 6474
                Other contact handles: none
         (Note: This information will be publicly posted)

    D.   Motivation for the new RRTYPE application?

    	There is a need to provide a mechanism in the DNS to publish
    	descriptive information about the status of the zone,
    	particularly for zones holding real-time contact data. At
    	present a variety of ad-hoc schemes and conventions are
    	used. These approaches are confusing and impractical since an
    	arbitrary DNS client needs a priori knowledge of which of
    	these schemes, if any, has been used by a zone administrator.
	Assigning a new RRtype for a resource record to hold this
    	information will provide a simple, standardised way of
    	publishing and retrieving zone status information.

    E.   Description of the proposed RR type.

    	The proposed RRtype is essentially identical to a TXT record:
    	the zone status information contained as free text in the
    	RDATA. Further details about the record format and its
    	potential applications is given in draft-reid-dnsext-zs-01.txt.

    F.   What existing RRTYPE or RRTYPEs come closest to filling that
         need and why are they unsatisfactory?

	The TXT record is the closest RRtype to the one proposed
	here. However TXT records are already used in many zones for
	a variety of purposes. This makes it awkward and impractical
	to differentiate a TXT record containing zone status
	information from other TXT records that may exist for a
	domain name. Allocating a new, dedicated RRtype for zone
	status is the cleanest way to deal with this issue. It would
	also prevent further mission creep by overloading the already
	overloaded TXT RRtype.

    G.   What mnemonic is requested for the new RRTYPE (optional)?
         Note: this can be left blank and the mnemonic decided after the
         template is accepted.

	ZS

    H.   Does the requested RRTYPE make use of any existing IANA
         Registry or require the creation of a new IANA Sub-registry and
         in DNS Parameters?

	No.

    I.   Does the proposal require/expect any changes in DNS
         servers/resolvers that prevent the new type from being
         processed as an unknown RRTYPE (see [RFC3597])?

	No.

    J.   Comments:

    	None.