DNSSEC and alternatives

Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz> Tue, 12 August 2008 22:52 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:43:15 -0700
To: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>
Subject: DNSSEC and alternatives
Cc: ed.lewis@neustar.biz
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

I've partly read the threads on the Kaminsky "bug" and how DNSSEC is
either the savior or, possibly in alliance with the bug, devil
incarnate.

First, to those that believe DNSSEC is an ugly pig, an ugly hack, I
say you are wrong.  DNSSEC was carefully designed to protect the DNS
from the threats of cache poisoning, in general, against the spoofing
of records between an authoritative server and anything doing the
asking.

Second to those that are skeptical of deploying DNSSEC, I say you are
right.  Even if DNSSEC is good technology, that doesn't mean it
should be pressed into service.

And to those of you who think you can build a "better mousetrap" I
encourage you.  But is isn't a race against DNSSEC, it's a race
against the vulnerabilities in DNS.  And remember - if the solution
comes to mind easily, someone else before you probably has already
thought it and tried it, so don't be disappointed if everyone else is
skeptical of the new mousetrap.

The problem with DNSSEC is that it has no problems.  If it had a
defect that prevented its adoption, then there would be something to
engineer.  The problem with DNSSEC is not it, but that the situation
for which it was designed doesn't need it badly enough to employ it.

                              ---------------------

Each part of the DNSSEC design was carefully considered.  There were
many design choices made, many alternate solutions tossed aside.  The
current definition is the third incarnation of the protocol to be
defined in RFCs.

In about 2004 there was a push that culminated in the NSEC3 RFC.  At
that time I posted a message going over the design decisions that
gave us the NSEC record. (See
http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2004/msg01406.html)
Read that message to see the conscious design decision process.  We
had to give something up to eliminate zone enumeration to arrive at
what is now called NSEC3.

DNSSEC is not the problem.  It is what it is.  It is a solution to
the problem of spoofed data.  It values completeness in security,
compatibility with operations, at the cost of having to maintain a
key infrastructure.  For those that get hung up on the off-line,
air-gapped key, that is a vestige of the time the Security Area
managed the development of the protocol (DNSSEC WG days), it really
isn't important at all to operations.  Personally I think and have
always thought it was overkill.

DNSSEC has taken time, a long time, to develop.  Why is this usually
cast as a negative comment?  The time spent to generate the
extensions is a sign of the careful consideration that went into it.
The reason for three iterations is that we workshopped the technology
over and over and rethought where it stunk.  At least it was never
rushed into service.

For all the platitudes I am laying at the feet of DNSSEC, my recent
presentations have been anti-DNSSEC.  There are presentations at
APTLD in February and a CENTR meeting floating around which I won't
post the URL for here.  My anti-DNSSEC sentiment is not about the
technology, my anti-ness is about whether the problems it solves are
important enough to solve at that cost or whether there is a cheaper
(less op-ex) means to attain the same protection.  Or, extending the
last, cheaper while attaining a sufficient but lesser level (sliding
scale) of protection.

I've witnessed the DNSSEC deployment process from its beginning (with
the publishing of RFC 2065) to now, from the first meeting at IETF 41
where the funding for BIND 9 began to appear.  (Doing the math, IETF
72 - IETF 41 = 31, 31/(3/year) = 10.333333333 years.  More than a
decade now.)  I was there when the process consisted of workshops,
tutorials, code fixes, protocol fixes, supplemental documentation,
tools, more additions, rewrites, etc.  All of this succeeded in
developing a workable extension to DNS, compatible with the
underlying protocol but still a boatload of operational work.

Perhaps in order to understand DNSSEC you have to join the
"groupthink" mind-meld.  And that would be a problem.