Re: [dnsext] WG Review: Recharter of DNS Extensions (dnsext)

Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com> Wed, 08 July 2009 18:13 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 14:09:27 -0400
From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com>
To: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] WG Review: Recharter of DNS Extensions (dnsext)
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 12:45:53PM +0200, Shane Kerr wrote:

> The current style of DNS standards work seems to be that we have a
> number of people working full-time on DNS stuff, and occasionally they
> think of something that should be standardized, so when they have a few
> moments they write something down and present it to the dnsext working
> group. This seems to work pretty good (except for the huge mass of
> confusing RFCs, hopefully an effort to fix that will arise again some
> day).

Well, the last effort was undertaken as a planned attack on the
overall problem.  It failed because we didn't get text.  It could be,
however, that a less centrally-planned effort would work.  If someone
were to write a "DNS Guide to the Perplexed" as an I-D and just ask
for comments, perhaps it would bear fruit.

> I'm not sure if the IXFR-ONLY stuff is interesting enough for a
> recharter. (I'm happy to pursue it as an individual submission, although
> I heard horror stories about that process. Maybe that was only in the
> past though.) Weird that we have a system designed to make it hard to
> make small tweaks but easy to make major changes though!

That might be an important observation about the charter as it is
written.  Are there others who think this is a potential problem?  It
would be good to hear that now, while the IESG still hasn't made a
decision.

> Maybe we should collect small DNS work in a separate area and then
> create a "dnsfix" group every now and then to push them through the
> standards process? It hardly seems ideal, but...

Creating a new group would be even more work than just rechartering
DNSEXT to do the work, I note.  But perhaps your suggesting includes
an implicit step, "Shut down DNSEXT."  Since the fondest hope of every
working group chair is supposed to be the closing down of the working
group on the grounds that there's no more work to do, I plan to be the
last voice opposing that suggestion if indeed you are making it.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.