Re: 2929bis RRTYPE Allocation for the ENUM Branch Location Record

Ólafur Guðmundsson /DNSEXT co-chair <ogud@ogud.com> Wed, 17 January 2007 16:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:12:06 -0500
To: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
From: Ólafur Guðmundsson /DNSEXT co-chair <ogud@ogud.com>
Subject: Re: 2929bis RRTYPE Allocation for the ENUM Branch Location Record
Cc: Otmar Lendl <lendl@nic.at>, Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

The public comment period has passed, our AD has appointed a
DNS Expert: Edward Lewis. Thank you Ed for being willing to take this on.

The working group chairs now pass the token to the expert to review the
template request and make sure it adheres to the RFC2929bis template, and
render his decision if this RR type request should be sent to IANA for
formal allocation.

In addition the expert is requested to report on the template
and rfc2929bis rules reporting any issues he detected. In particular
the WG is interested in knowing if the rules in RFC2929bis are
sufficient/overarching/unclear/etc.

This report will be used by our AD to judge if any changes in
RFC2929bis RR type allocation process are needed before RFC2929bis
is published.

Ed, you have 2 weeks to render your decision, which is binding.
Expert review due: January 31'th 23:59 UTC

WG: if you have any issues with this request send it to the mailing list
and/or expert ASAP, once the expert issues his ruling it is too late.

The notes below are part of the process evaluation and how to
reflect what this chair has noticed.

Process note #1: WG had no public feedback on the template and its Internet
draft, editors updated the draft since the original request was sent to
namedroppers. Editors please send out an message stating if you got
any private comments as a result of posting the request, no need to say
who or what.

Process note #2: Reading RFC2929bis
IANA in the general case only sees approved requests, it is not
explicitly stated WHO forwards the positive decision by the expert to IANA.
In the general case this should be the DNS expert.
As the expert has not been formally appointed to IANA for this
experiment the chairs of the working group will communicate with IANA.

Process note #3: As far as I can tell there is no appeal of the DNS Expert
decision possible, but the requester can resubmit an updated request.

         Olafur