Re: [dnsext] WGLC on draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-algo-signal-05

Steve Crocker <steve@shinkuro.com> Thu, 29 March 2012 08:55 UTC

From: Steve Crocker <steve@shinkuro.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 09:55:15 +0100
To: dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] WGLC on draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-algo-signal-05

Miek and Ed,

I'm all in favor of longer term of supporting smooth transitions in the future.  We're paying a huge price with IPv6 for not having done so with addresses, and we are and will continue to have similar problems in other areas.  That said, two comments:

1. I think it's worth moving the present document forward so we can measure the uptake of new algorithms in DNSSEC.  I think the need for algorithm transition is coming sooner than many expect.

2. The specific suggestion of referencing RFCs instead of IANA registry tables is intriguing.  I can see advantages, but I can also see possible problems.  I think the proposed scheme needs a bit of discussion and a design note before moving this forward.

Thanks,

Steve