Re: FW: AAAA/A6

Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> Thu, 22 March 2001 16:19 UTC

From: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
To: Paul A Vixie <vixie@mfnx.net>
Cc: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: FW: AAAA/A6
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:41:57 -0600
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

> A6 wasn't originated by the DNS community, it was a response to the IPv6
> community's desire to push their rapid/continuous renumbering requirement
> into DNS rather than having to invent new support protocols in IPv6
> itself.
>
> Therefore if the IPv6 community withdraws its rapid/continuous renumbering
> requirement then the DNS community will absolutely withdraw its A6
> proposal.

sorry, but i have a small problem with some choices of words, though not
necessarily deep semantics.

the a6 document was an ipngwg document.  hence the dns community can not
withdraw the proposal, it was not ours to withdraw.  we can work with the v6
community to find what is best, in our small and oh so fallable views, for
the internet. also, i don't think either you, i, or any other single person
should be speaking in the name of the dns community.

personally, i am as tempted by the large address space of v6 as i am by
renumbering.  i suspect the latter has feet of clay, and the former badly
needs a better routing architecture.  but this may be the wrong wg for this
part of the discussion.

randy, just another bozo on this bus