Re: FW: AAAA/A6

itojun@iijlab.net Thu, 22 March 2001 02:44 UTC

Subject: Re: FW: AAAA/A6
From: itojun@iijlab.net
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:44:56 +0900
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

	on AAAA/A6, there was a comment in wg meeting that basically says:
	- A6 helps very very large multihomed IPv6 network.
	- those who says "AAAA is just fine" has never operated large-enough
	  IPv6 network yet.

	for very very large multihomed IPv6 network, i guess A6 does not
	work either.
	if we cross the limit where zone files are over manageable size,
	none of A6 nor AAAA with manually managed zone file, will work.
	we need solution from different aspect something, including:
	- dynamic updates, to remove management burdens from client
	- name server with good backend database
		(in this case AAAA and A6 management costs are requal)
	- good perl script with AAAA (easy enough, deployable now)
	i don't think it wise to delegate management labor into protocol.

	the second bullet sounded a bit harsh to me, unless you have already
	opreated large-enough IPv6 network with A6.  i believe our network
	is already large enough, and i'm happy with AAAA.

itojun