Re: [DNSOP] Comments on draft-wessels-dns-zone-digest-02 (fwd)

Paul Wouters <paul@nohats.ca> Sat, 11 August 2018 01:39 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 21:39:15 -0400
From: Paul Wouters <paul@nohats.ca>
To: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Comments on draft-wessels-dns-zone-digest-02 (fwd)

I am not objecting other then having 0 desire to help out unsigned zones replace origin security with transport security.

Look at the suggested use of eSNI in unsigned DNS assuming some kind of DOH / DOT transport.

This record type could easily be abused for that.

Which is why my preference is to only sign unsigned records.

Certainly, for the root zone, RRSIGs can be validated. For other large zones where that is not the case there isn’t really a use case either. Those large TLDs can’t be distributed as a file without being obsolete once the transfer completed.

Paul

Sent from my phone