Re: [DNSOP] New Draft Charter

Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com> Tue, 11 March 2008 14:41 UTC

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:37:53 -0400
From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
To: Peter Koch <pk@DENIC.DE>
Cc: IETF DNSOP WG <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] New Draft Charter
Sender: dnsop-bounces@ietf.org

So root and gTLD DNS server operations supervision is off the charter?
It used to be the first item.  This appears to affect ISOC IETF
commitments to ICANN to provide this technical role.

I'm not certain I'm against that--I just want to clarify that this isn't
an oversight.

1. Define the processes by which Domain Name System (DNS) software
      may be efficiently and correctly administered, configured, and
      operated on Internet networks. This will include root zone
      name servers, gTLD name servers, name servers for other DNS
      zones, iterative DNS resolvers, and recursive DNS resolvers.
      As part of this effort, the group will produce documents
      explaining to the general Internet community what processes
      and mechanisms should be employed for the effective management
      and operation of DNS software.

		--Dean

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Peter Koch wrote:

> [...]
So root and gTLD DNS server operations supervision is off the charter?
It used to be the first item.  This appears to affect ISOC IETF
commitments to ICANN to provide this technical role.

I'm not certain I'm against that--I just want to clarify that this isn't
an oversight.

1. Define the processes by which Domain Name System (DNS) software
      may be efficiently and correctly administered, configured, and
      operated on Internet networks. This will include root zone
      name servers, gTLD name servers, name servers for other DNS
      zones, iterative DNS resolvers, and recursive DNS resolvers.
      As part of this effort, the group will produce documents
      explaining to the general Internet community what processes
      and mechanisms should be employed for the effective management
      and operation of DNS software.

		--Dean

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Peter Koch wrote:

> Dear WG,
>
> after several attempts, here is the most recent version of the new DNSOP
> charter to be discussed in tomorrow's WG session:

> The DNS Operations (DNSOP) Working Group will develop and review guidelines
> for the correct, efficient and secure configuration of DNS authoritative
> servers, resolvers, and DNSSEC validators.
> Target audiences for those guidelines are zone administrators as well as
> software developers who provide tools for DNS zone administration or (default)
> server/resolver/validator configuration.
>
> The group will perform the following activities:
>
> 1) develop or review guidelines for chosing zone configuration
>    parameters that affect inter-server or server-resolver communication,
>    including but not limited to SOA RR parameters, TTL values, and glue
>    information
>
> 2) develop or review guidelines for any DNSSEC specific operational
>    parameters, such as key length or key validity periods
>
> 3) investigate and identify requirements of DNSSEC to the lower layers,
>    both transport and network
> 4) develop or review operational guidelines that address the specifics of
>    IPv4/v6 coexistence and transition
>
> 5) review the use of existing DNS frameworks (SRV, DDDS) in other protocols,
>    especially focussing on operational consequences and scalability, most
>    importantly when these frameworks are used in other wg's protocol proposals.
>
> 6) develop and review guidelines for resolver (stub and full) behaviour,
>    including search path and timing issues as well as query strategies.
>
> 7) establish terminology and methodology for performance measurements
>    of servers, resolvers or the service as such.
>
> 8) identify the requirements for a name server configuration and control
>    protocol.
>
> To avoid overlap with the DNS Extensions working group, the DNSOP group
> will not change the on the wire behaviour of the DNS.  Terminology issues
> will, where appropriate, be addressed in coordination with DNSEXT.

617 344 9000