Re: [DNSOP] New Draft Charter

Peter Koch <pk@DENIC.DE> Fri, 14 March 2008 04:08 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 05:06:11 +0100
From: Peter Koch <pk@DENIC.DE>
To: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
Cc: IETF DNSOP WG <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] New Draft Charter
Sender: dnsop-bounces@ietf.org

Dean,

> > If you could support this observation by tangible textual reference, that would
> > be appreciated. As a side note, there is an IETF liaison to ICANN, independent
> > of whatever WG charter.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean to dispute. The text of the charter I quoted
> cites "This will include root zone name servers, gTLD name servers
> [...]" I don't think it can be made plainer.

the fact that name servers dealing with a certain level in the DNS hierarchy or
with certain parts of the DNS tree are not or are no longer explicitly mentioned
does not imply that they could not taken into special consideration where
appropriate.

> The liason role is communicative; the liason communicates the consensus
> of (in this case) DNSOP.  The person of liason has not previously been
> the sole technical expert provided by the IETF. But if that becomes so,
> this isn't what is described in the MoU.  The IETF technical expertise

IETF Liaisons are appointed by and report to the IAB.  There is an IAB
statement regarding the IETF's Liaison to the ICANN Board of Directors at
<hFrom dnsop-bounces@ietf.org  Thu Mar 13 21:08:44 2008