Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-sutld-ps-03.txt

Petr Špaček <petr.spacek@nic.cz> Wed, 15 March 2017 10:52 UTC

To: dnsop@ietf.org
From: Petr Špaček <petr.spacek@nic.cz>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 11:52:24 +0100
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-sutld-ps-03.txt

On 14.3.2017 12:28, Ralph Droms wrote:
> draft-ietf-dnsop-sutld-ps-03 includes revised text to address issues raised during the WG last call and other editorial improvements.  The list of issues, discussion and resolution are in GitHub: https://github.com/Abhayakara/draft-tldr-sutld-ps
>
> There is one substantial addition to the list of problems in section 3: the use of DNSSEC with Special-Use Domain Names.

The 03 version is a very good one.

I would like to comment on one side-effect of the changes:
The Summary section was removed and the text moved elsewhere. IMHO this
makes the document less understandable to a person who was not involved
with its development.

For this reason I propose new Summary section, which would be basically
current 4.1.4.  Liaison Statement on Technical Use of Domain Names.

The reference to these two I-Ds can be at the same place as current 4.1.4.

So the new text would look like:

4.1.4.  Expired Internet Drafts Relating to SUDN
   /links to/
   [I-D.chapin-additional-reserved-tlds]
   [I-D.grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names]

6. Summary
   As a result of processing requests to add names to the Special-Use
   Domain Name registry, as documented in
   [I-D.chapin-additional-reserved-tlds] and
   [I-D.grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names], the IAB initiated a review
   of the process defined in RFC 6761 for adding names to the registry.
   This review was identified as in the charter of the IETF DNSOP
   working group, and the review has been conducted in that working
   group.  The Liaison Statement [SDO-IAB-ICANN-LS] notified ICANN of
   the review, affirmed that the discussion would be "open and
   transparent to participation by interested parties" and explicitly
   invited members of the ICANN community to participate.
   This document is a product of the IETF DNSOP working group review of
   the registry process in RFC 6761.

I believe that original 4.1.4 nicely summarizes what this document is about.

Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC